Spousal Sponsorship Canada 2021

Moving abroad and leaving your loved ones on opposite coast is not easy. One of the objectives of Canadian government is to see that families are reunited in Canada.  Spousal sponsorship program is the most demanded stream under family class immigration. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) strongly supports family reunification, thus spousal sponsorship application processing is given the highest priority at Canadian Visa Offices. Processing time was recently reduced from 26 to 12 months for 80% of applications for both in-Canada and outside of Canada cases.

The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner looking to immigrate to Canada under spousal sponsorship category must be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If you applied to sponsor spouse outside Canada, once decision is made and sponsorship application is approved, Canadian immigration authorities will issue the applicant Canada Spouse Visa (a confirmation of permanent residence).

Applicant (person being sponsored) will become permanent resident upon landing in Canada, and must enter Canada before the expiry date, which appears on temporary visa.

OR CALL +1 (647) 494-7977

If you are looking to apply for spousal sponsorship inside Canada, application is being processed first and once approved, applicant’s status will change from temporary to permanent. Spousal sponsorship within Canada gives an opportunity to person being sponsored and living in Canada to apply for an Open-Work Permit.

Our Canadian immigration services include different options where you can choose between Full Representation, Final Review and Do-It-Yourself packages. If you have any questions, you can book free immigration consultation (Online/Phone) to speak with immigration consultant in Toronto.

While spousal sponsorship might not be an option for you at this time, you may also consider temporary residence program such visitor visa.

Spouse visa document checklist (IMM5533) is one of the forms you will need to mail with your application package.  IMM 5533 includes list of application forms and documents you need to complete and send in with your application to sponsor. Country-specific requirements and special instructions may also be applicable. 

IRCC recently reduced the spousal sponsorship processing time from up to 26 months to 12 months for both in-Canada and outside of Canada applications. During processing you can check spousal sponsorship application status online. Both you and the sponsor can check application status by using IRCC online tool. 

Spouse visa application processing fees are the same regardless of your country of residence. These fees are payable to the Government of Canada and can be paid  in different ways depending on the fee type and where you are paying from. While if you decide to retain our services, professional fees will be applicable. 

Spousal Sponsorship Timeline

Application Package

Complete all forms and prepare all supporting documents required for your situation. Application package may differ based on applicant’s country of residence, as well as documents issued by other countries. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, your spouse or partner may be also eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit. 


At this point processing starts. IRCC will not send an acknowledgement of receipt until they have opened your application and checked that it is complete. As you go through the process, you may receive requests for additional documents. Make sure to check your online account and email for updates. 


IRCC will provide deadline and instructions on how to get medical exam done. You must go for your medical exam within 30 days of receiving these instructions. If you do not follow these instructions, IRCC may refuse your application. If there is a problem with your medical exam, IRCC will contact you to advise. 


IRCC will finish processing your application after they have received all the necessary information. Once approved, applicant will receive confirmation of permanent residence. If officer is satisfied that you meet the requirements to enter Canada, you will be allowed to enter Canada as a permanent resident. 



Spouse is a person, who must be legally married to a sponsor. The marriage should be valid both under the laws of the country where it took place and under Canadian law. It is important to check the rules of consanguinity that are required in the jurisdiction where the marriage took place. Married couple’s relationship must be genuine and continuing. Also married couple should be able to demonstrate a mutual commitment to a shared life as spouses. In case sponsor was previously married and obtained divorce, it must be valid both in the country where it was obtained and be recognized in Canada. Country-specific regulations may apply. 


Fiancé/fiancée is a relationship where a couple is engaged to be married or betrothed. Government of Canada has discontinued fiancé/fiancée visa program in 2002.  If you have cohabited with your fiancé(e) for more than one year, you may consider the common-law partner stream. Or if you had a conjugal relationship and due to exceptional circumstances, you are not able to live together, you may consider the conjugal partner stream. Most likely you will consider getting married overseas and starting spousal sponsorship process. You may also try bringing your fiancée here as a visitor and get married in Canada, but you will need to disclose to visa office that he/she is engaged to you. 


Common-law partner (same or opposite-sex) is someone with whom a sponsor has cohabited in a marriage-like relationship without any long periods apart for at least 12 consecutive months. Time spent away for each person must have been short and/or temporary leave for family, work or business-related travel. Even when cohabiting common-law partner has not divorced with their previous spouse, their relationship with sponsor may be considered as a common-law relationship, given they have cohabited for a period of at least one year. Regulations in regard to minimum age and consanguinity apply. Both sponsor and applicant will need to provide proof, that they have been living together for at least 12 months. 


Conjugal partner in relation to a sponsor, is someone residing outside Canada who has been in a conjugal (marriage-like) relationship with the sponsor for at least one year. It is important to note that this is a specific category of applicants who otherwise do not qualify to immigrate as spouses or common-law partners, because of certain impediment to a marriage or residency together. This is exceptional situation, where cohabitation is not a requirement for a conjugal partner relationship. However, the lack of cohabitation is usually the result of an immigration impediment. A sponsored application for permanent residence can still be filed, but only under the Family Class outside-of-Canada process. 



  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident, 
  • at least 18 years old 
  • living in Canada: 
  • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident. 
  • you can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada. 

You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for: 

  • yourself, 
  • your spouse or partner, 
  • your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable) 
  • your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child). 


  • In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year. If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application 


  • signed an undertaking for a previous spouse or partner and it hasn’t been three years since they became a permanent resident, 
  • receive social assistance for a reason other than disability, 
  • previously sponsored someone and did not pay back any social assistance that they received while the undertaking was in place. 
  • are in default on an immigration loan or a performance bond 
  • did not pay court-ordered alimony or child support 
  • have declared bankruptcy which has not been discharged 
  • were convicted of 
  • an offence of a sexual nature, 
  • a violent crime, 
  • an offence against a relative that caused bodily harm or 
  • threatened or attempted to commit any of the above offences—depending on the nature of the offence, how long ago it happened and if you received a pardon 
  • were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago, 
  • are under a removal order, 
  • are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison, 
  • have already applied to sponsor your current spouse or partner and haven’t received a decision. 

Our Professional Fees

Full package
For One Applicant
Initial Consultation Credit
Consultations - As Required
Authorized Representation
Designated Client Portal
Online, Phone & Email Support
Secure Online Data Collection
Personalized Document Checklist
Representative's Submission Letter
All Forms & Supporting Letters
Commission of Forms & Declarations
Value package
Spousal Sponsorship & SOWP
Initial Consultation Credit
Consultations - As Required
Authorized Representation
Designated Client Portal
Online, Phone & Email Support
Secure Online Data Collection
Personalized Document Checklist
Representative's Submission Letter
All Forms & Supporting Letters
Commission of Forms & Declarations
Peace of Mind - $500
Package Review Before Submission
Authorized Representation
Document Drop-Off / Dropbox
Offline Document Package Review
1-Hour Feedback Session
Do It Yourself
Guided Application Process
Authorized Representation
15-min, 30-min, 60-min Meetings
20% Discount after 3rd Hour
35% Discount after 5th Hour
Google Rating
Based on 192 reviews
Facebook Rating
Based on 14 reviews
BBB Accredited Immigration Consultants - RightWay Canada Immigration Services
Google Rating
Based on 192 reviews
Facebook Rating
Based on 14 reviews
BBB Accredited Immigration Consultants - RightWay Canada Immigration Services

Spouse Immigration FAQ

Family reunification is a key immigration commitment for the Government of Canada. Processing time for 80% of the cases both overseas and in-Canada is currently 12 months. 

You can become a sponsor if you are: 

  • at least 18 years old 
  • a Canadian citizen, 
  • a permanent resident living in Canada 
  • a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act 
  • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must demonstrate that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored spouse or common-law partner becomes a permanent resident. 

You may include dependent children in your application, if they meet the following requirements: 

As of October 24, 2017, to meet definition of “dependent child”, a child must be in one of the following situations: 

  • under 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner 
  • 22 years of age or older, have depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 and be unable to support themselves financially due to a physical or mental condition 

Dependent children who do not have a physical or mental condition must remain unmarried and not in a common-law relationship for the duration of processing, up until the point of becoming a permanent resident. 

If you applied or planning to apply, under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, you can also apply for an open work permit. This will allow him or her to accept any job from any employer and work, while application is being processed. 

If you are a Canadian citizen living abroad, you may sponsor your spouse and dependent children. You must present a reasonable plan to return to Canada immediately once the sponsorship application is approved. However, you can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada. 

Insufficient or contradictory documentation may lead to delays and/or all refusal of your application. Your application processing may be delayed due to a number of reasons. 

Things that can cause delays: 

  • Your medical and security screening takes longer than usual 
  • IRCC requests additional information 
  • IRCC decides to interview you 
  • You did not respond to IRCC requests for information in a timely manner 
  • High numbers of applications 

Eligibility for refund depends on application processing stage: 

  • If IRCC did not start processing, you will receive full refund 
  • If IRCC started processing sponsor’s application, you’ll be refunded all fees with the exception of C$75. 
  • If IRCC finished processing the sponsor’s application and started processing the permanent residence application for the sponsored person, you will get the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (C$490 per person) back, if applicable. 
  • If application was refusedapplication fees will not be refunded. 

You can certainly try. However, if you are applying from a country that is not visa-exempt, it is important to provide additional evidence to satisfy officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. 

Temporary residents of Canada are not eligible to become a sponsor. Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit, if you: 

  • are a full-time student at a: 
  • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec 
  • private college-level school in Quebec or 
  • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) and 
  • have a valid study permit. 

A conjugal partner relationship is a relationship that does not fit the requirements of a common-law relationship, due to the circumstances beyond your and your partner’s control. Relationship wouldn’t be considered conjugal, if you and your partner could have lived together in a common-law relationship but chose not to do so. 

By signing undertaking, you are promising to give financial support for the basic needs of your spouse or partner and their dependent children. 

Basic needs are: 

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living, 
  • dental care, eye care and other health needs that aren’t covered by public health services. 

If people you sponsor apply for and receive social assistance, you’ll have to pay back what they received during the time you were legally responsible for them. 

Some people are not allowed to enter Canada. The definition used by Immigration, Refuges and Citizenship Canada is “inadmissibility “. There are many reasons, why you may be refused entry to Canada: 

  • you are a security risk,
  • you have committed human or international rights violations,
  • you have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • you have ties to organized crime,
  • you have a serious health problem,
  • you have a serious financial problem,
  • you lied in your application or in an interview,
  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

Only authorized representatives are allowed to represent you in an immigration or citizenship application as well as communicate with the Government of Canada on your behalf.

Elina Grigoryan is licensed Canadian immigration consultant, a member of Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) in good standing and is authorized by the Canadian government to represent your interests in all immigration matters. You may choose to use an authorized immigration representative to act on your behalf for immigration, citizenship or temporary residence applications with:

Be aware, if you use an unauthorized representative, in Canada or abroad, IRCC may return your application or refuse it. Choose your representative carefully.

RightWay Canada Immigration Services Inc. is a reputable immigration organization specialized in Express Entry, OINP, Family Sponsorship, Citizenship and TRV (study/work/visit) applications. We offer variety of packages based on your needs. Refer to the list of our immigration services below:

If you do not require professional assistance at this time and you are just looking for immigration law related information, you can find it on Legalline.ca.

It depends on what you are looking for at this point. There are three options we offer based on your needs:

1) Contact Request Form (FREE)

  • Takes less than 5 minutes to complete
  • Assist with choosing right program(s)
  • Assist with choosing right service(s)

Pros: Free of charge; Response within 1 business day

Cons: No direct interaction with consultant

Best for: People who are still undecided on program(s) they are looking for

2) 15-min Initial Consultation ($50.00+HST if applicable)

  • Assess applicant’s eligibility
  • Review eligibility questions
  • Assist with choosing right program(s)
  • Assist with choosing right service(s)

Pros: Direct interaction with consultant; Lower consultation fee; Initial Consultation Credit

Cons: Only 1 Initial Consultation is allowed per clientDoes not include case specific questions, document review, consultation on paperwork as well as consultation on submitted or in progress applications

Best for: People who want to make sure they are eligible for the program(s) before signing retainer agreement with RightWay Canada

3) All Purpose Consultation (Starting from $150+HST if applicable)

  • Case specific questions
  • Document review
  • Both document and application related questions
  • Available for both submitted and in progress applications

Pros: No limitations on case specific questions; Document review is included;

Cons: No initial consultation credit on 1-hour all-purpose consultation;

Best for: 

30-min – People who are still undecided whether they need authorized representative, as initial consultation credit is still available;

1-hour – People who have already submitted their application or looking for in-depth document review before they submit it on their own.

Full representation packages include end to end assistance with your application(s). While consultation packages are strictly limited to consultation time allocated

Everyone tries to find the best immigration consultant for their needs. People usually consider factors like experience, reliability, accreditation and easiness in communication. But total cost for achieving immigration goals can be higher than expected with constantly increasing prices in Canada.

Most of immigration law offices in Toronto will offer only full representation services and will present immigration lawyer’s fees only after initial consultation. While here at RightWay Canada, we offer at least four different packages for each program we are specialized in. As to immigration consultant’s professional fees, you can find all packages with detailed breakdown on our website prior to booking your immigration consultation. 

Yes, we are taking new cases as usual. RightWay Canada team is fully staffed and there are no delays in processing on our end.

However, IRCC processing times are impacted nationally due to COVID-19, as a result of which processing of your application may be longer than usual. Thus, we strongly recommend to get started at earliest to avoid any further delays.

Safety of our staff and clients is top priority during pandemic. Unfortunately, in-office appointments with immigration consultants are temporarily unavailable due to COVID-19.

However, we offer both phone and online immigration consultation with a screen-sharing feature, which gives you an opportunity to share with us all information and the documents required for your application.

As an exception, existing clients are also able to book document drop-offs, if required.

Yes, our immigration company assists clients from all countries regardless of the type of application.

RightWay Canada Immigration Services was founded in 2016.

When it comes to experience in Canadian immigration, number of years in industry is not the only factor to consider. It’s also important to consider the scope of expertise as well as number of clients served per year.

For example, a law firm with 35 years of experience may assist clients in all aspects of law, but at the same time process less than 5 immigration related cases per year.  

Our immigration consulting firm is solely focused on Citizenship, Permanent Residence (PR) and Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) applications. We have assisted over 400 clients with their immigration needs only in 2020.

In case of full representation, you will have no access to your application from IRCC Portal. 

All applications are submitted through IRCC Authorized Representative Portal rather than regular client portal. 

However, we update our clients on all IRCC notifications within 1 business day. Exceptions may apply in rare cases when prior documentation review is required by our team. Usually, that takes no longer than 3 business days.

The digital document includes three main steps:

  • Signing the retainer agreement
  • Booking initial appointment
  • Making the payment

Once all steps are completed, you will receive an email from our immigration office. Please note, that there are no other requirements prior to initial appointment. During your initial appointment, you will be introduced to your case processing manager, who will activate your online client portal and will go over next steps.

No one can guarantee approval of your application, as final decision fully depends on immigration officer.

Kindly avoid all kind of ghost consultants as well as unethical representatives who “guarantee results” or provide “success rates” to grab your attention.

Here at RightWay Canada, we put all our efforts in maximizing your chances of success. Reputation of our immigration company is extremely important to us, as you can see from our client reviews.

If your application gets refused, we will resubmit it one time free of charge. This does not include government application fees, as well as cases where false/misleading/incomplete information or document was provided by client.

Some IRCC programs require Invitation to Apply (ITA) prior to submission. Receiving ITA may be fully based on luck (e.g. PGP applications), data entry speed (OINP applications) or on applicant’s points (Express Entry applications). Thus, outcome is not based on your immigration adviser’s professional skills. At the same time, adding your profile into pool of candidates to participate in draws is a must.

If you do not receive ITA for PGP or OINP, we will refund all professional fees paid except $250 non-refundable deposit.

We want to see you succeed, thus we will resubmit your profile into pool free of charge within next two years.

As to Express Entry applications, immigration consultant’s fees are already split between two retainer agreements:

  • Stage 1: Express Entry Profile Submission
  • Stage 2: PR Application upon receiving ITA (CEC or FSW)

RightWay Canada Immigration Services operates through trust account in accordance with IRCC Trust Account Regulation.

Clients are required to make full payment into Client Trust Account as per Section 5.1 of our retainer agreements. However, client funds will be withdrawn from Trust Account as per payment schedule identified in Section 6.2 of our retainer agreements.

You may also refer to Section 7 (Refund Policy) and Section 12 (Termination) of our retainer agreements for more details.

Processing Time Before Submission: Usually it takes us up to 5 business days to review and submit application to IRCC once personalized document checklist is completed by clients. The overall process may take from 1 week to 6 months based on type of program as well as how fast client can gather all required documents.

Processing Time After Submission: IRCC Application processing times vary depending on:

  • Type of application
  • Country of residence
  • Canadian Visa Office
  • Interview requirements
  • Number of applications under consideration

Please visit processing times tool for more details. Kindly note that IRCC processing times may be longer than usual due to COVID-19.

Yes. Statistically, more than 30% of our clients were refused at least once prior to retaining our services.

However, an initial consultation is required to assess your individual situation and reasons of refusal to make sure we can take your case.

Some people are not allowed to enter Canada. The definition used by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is “inadmissibility”. There are many reasons, why you may be refused entry to Canada:

  • you are a security risk,
  • you have committed human or international rights violations,
  • you have been convicted of a crime, or you have committed an act outside Canada that would be a crime,
  • you have ties to organized crime,
  • you have a serious health problem,
  • you have a serious financial problem,
  • you lied in your application or in an interview,
  • you do not meet the conditions in Canada’s immigration law, or
  • one of your family members is not allowed into Canada.

If you there is a valid reason why you have to travel to Canada, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

Please note a Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you apply for a visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or when you arrive at a port of entry.

Don’t wait until your visa is refused. If you or your dependent family member has an inadmissibility condition, contact our visa consultant today to discuss your options.

Our prices include professional fees only. HST may be applicable on top of that.

Government fees and disbursements (translation services, medical insurance premiums, medical examination fees, language exam fees, international student admission fees, etc.) are paid directly to government or third parties.

To check IRCC’s processing fees, please refer to their website.

To get most out of your sessions, you can split POM and DIY packages into 1-hour appointments only.

Kindly note, in case you use less than 1 hour at a time, no additional time will be added to the total time allocated.

Some of our packages (Duo, Family, Value) already have a built-in discounted price per applicant or service.

However, if you decide to retain our immigration agency for two separate applications, you will be eligible for additional 15% discount on the second package.

Same discount is applicable for all our returning clients. Moreover, if you have already retained us for one of our full representation packages, and now require assistance with your status extension or restoration, you will be eligible for a 50% discount.

Our Partners

Contact Us

Working Hours

Mon-Fri: 9:00AM-5:30PM
Saturday: 11:00AM-3:00PM

Office Location

1105-250 Consumers Rd,
Toronto, ON M2J 4V6

Phone Numbers

Local: +1 (647) 494-7977
Toll Free: +1 (877) 494-7977

Popular Ontario Service Areas

© Copyright 2022 RightWayCanada.com. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Preferences
When you visit our website, it may store information through your browser from specific services, usually in form of cookies. Here you can change your privacy preferences. Please note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our website and the services we offer.