1105-250 Consumers Rd, North York, ON M2J 4V6
+1 (647) 494-7977
Immigration Office Canada

Study Permit

Millions of applicants around the world are dreaming about being accepted into one of the Canadian colleges or universities and receiving study permit. Studying in Canada is an exciting and rewarding experience for many international students. Once you’ve decided what to study, you need to consider entry dates, application deadlines, student visa processing times and English language requirements. Aside from BA, MBA, PhD, certificate and diploma programs, Canadian colleges and universities have a variety of short-term summer language courses, continuing education and exchange programs. The main intake is in September each year, though many colleges and universities have a smaller intake in January or summer term. Most foreign nationals require a study permit to study in Canada. If your course is less than 6 months long, you’ll only need a visitor visa to come to Canada. However, if you plan to study for more than 6 months you’ll need to apply for a student visa. To apply for study visa first of all you need to obtain acceptance letter from educational institution. There are more than 98 universities and colleges in Canada, however the school of your choice must be approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. If you plan to apply to college or university, this is the first thing you should check. As per Canadian regulations the issuance of study permits is limited to applicants who have been accepted to undertake a program of study at an educational institution that is designated to host international students.

Study Permit Requirements

To apply for a study permit, you need:

  • an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • be in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam.
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

Please note Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) require that applicants submit government application processing fees for most of applications.

Find out, if you’re eligible to study in Canada by completing our Free Assessment.

Work While Studying

On June 1, 2014, the Off-Campus Work Permit Program ended as part of regulatory changes to the International Student Program. As an international student you may work off campus without a work permit for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

You may work off-campus without a work permit if you:

  • have a valid study permit
  • are a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • have started studying
  • are in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and is at least six months long and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If your situation changes and you no longer meet all the requirements, you must stop working off-campus.

You may work without work on-campus without a work permit if you:

  • are a full-time post-secondary student at:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
  • have a valid study permit and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Please note you must stop working on campus on the day you are no longer studying full time or when your study permit expires.

Our Professional Fees

Multipurpose 1h Consultation
1-hour Consultation
School & Program Selection
Authorized Representation
Client Portal
Phone & Email Support
Forms & Supporting Letters
Partner Discounts
$250 Consultation Credit
ATIP Notes (If Applicable)
Full Package
Full Package for One Applicant
Consultations – As Required
School & Program Selection
Authorized Representative
Client Portal
Phone & Email Support
Forms & Supporting Letters
Partner Discounts
$250 Consultation Credit
ATIP Notes (If Applicable)

Contact Us


250 Consumers Rd #1105
North York, ON M2J 4V6

working hours

Mon – Sat: 8:00 – 18:00
Sunday: Closed


Phone: +1 (647) 494-7977
Fax: +1 (647) 494-9922



© Copyright 2018 RightWayCanada.com. All Rights Reserved